We are now nearly a week into our summer season & we have one privately guided group that have nearly completed the route. Conditions are getting better day by day & there are lots of groups out on the trail however there is still a fair amount of snow on the trail.
The affected area are still:
· Contamines to Chapieux & Ville des Glaciers via the Col du Bonhomme & the Col de la Croix Bonhomme & Col des Fours if going to Ville des Glaciers.
· Chapieux & Ville des Glaciers to Courmayeur via the Col de Seigne
· Refuge Bonatti or Arnuva to La Fouly via the Grand Col Ferret
· Champex to Trient via the Fenetre d’Arpette
Routes to be avoided are:
· Via Col du Fours
· Via Mont Fauvre Spur to Courmayeur
· Via Fenetre d’Arpette (there has been a fatality in the last week on this route du to a slip from the col on the Swiss side)
· All kit outlined on our kit list not forgetting good waterproof boots (not trainers or trail shoes), gloves, warm hat, warm layers, waterproof outer layers, sun cream & sunglasses to protect against snow glare.
· Light weight crampons or MICROspikes & walking poles x 2 per person to aid balance.
· Gaiters to keep the snow out of your boots when walking through snow.
Advise on essential kit is still the same Crampons are readily available to hire in Chamonix however if are thinking of using MICROspikes it may be better to purchase these before you arrive if you can as availability might be a problem in Chamonix due to a lot of folk buying these for the trails.
Important additional information:
There has been a landslide on the lower part of the road in the Val Veny, this means that the bus service isn’t running & taxis are limited as the only access to La Visialle now is via a 4 wheel drive track. They are trying to get the road back open as soon as possible but if you are intending taking a bus or taxi from La Visialle to Courmayeur you need to be aware of this & add in extra time as you might need to walk down the road to Courmayeur. It is advisable that if you are arranging a taxi for the Val Veny that this will need to be booked in advance as there is no phone signal after you leave Contamines until you reach the Col du Seigne.